Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Reagan Is Off to the Westminster Kennel Club Show!


We have a champion in our midst J
Our beautiful black standard poodle champion, Calabasas resident “Reagan”,  is going to the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show in New York February 10th, 2014.
His AKC registered name is: CH Champagne Celebration Midnight Dancer Donchada NLD  Born April 18, 2011.
He is known locally as: “Reagan” the beautiful black standard poodle J
Owned and Loved by Pamela Francis, Calabasas Ca


Some five years after my beloved 15 year old black standard poodle “Nicholas” passed on there came a time to think about opening my heart and home once again to a new four legged family member.  Of course for me, once the happy brilliance of a standard poodle that is ‘standard’ in the “standard poodle” has filled your home and life with their fun and unique presence, it was inevitable that I would have to have another.
It was important to me to acquire my next dog from a reputable breeder who had a conscientious limited breeding program focused on breeding healthy beautiful dogs with an excellent temperment.  Finding this took much time, dedication, patience and energy which eventually led me to a terrific result. During the process, I promised myself not to be in a hurry, to make informed choices because once an animal comes into my home, it becomes a member of the family and has a home for life.
 Studying breed lines, attending dog shows and talking to knowledgeable people in the poodle world helped me to become well versed and define what goals I might have in mind for my next chapter of my “poodleishiousness” experienceJ  I attended the National Poodle Specialty in Salisbury MD in 2011 to give myself the opportunity to observe some of the most well-bred poodles from around the country, and other countries as well, before narrowing down my breed-line choices.
Finally, after almost a year, in July of 2011, I found my beautiful puppy Reagan.  His pedigree and breeder qualifications checked all of my boxes so it was time to make my decision…a big decision too! Yikes J At 12 weeks old, sweet little Reagan came into my life, and what a life it has been since.
 His first show experience was at nine months for a five day show held at the Indio Polo Grounds in La Qunta CA in January 2012.  Reagan won top honors in every class he entered including his first major.  These wins were followed by another major win in Del Mar and Reagan finished his championship in seven shows in 2012 to become a “puppy champion” which is a rare and outstanding accomplishment for any puppy of any breed, especially a standard poodle.
Every class he entered…he won!  It was so thrilling to watch my little puppy “wow” everyone with his lovely movement and carriage and to be awarded such honors by so many knowlwdgeable AKC judges.
For the next year he grew hair and frolicked and enjoyed being a puppy while learning a few obedience lessons along the way. 
Puppy champions do not always do as well in the show ring after they grow up, so after a year of “hair growing” and fun and frolicking, we decided to give it a shot just to see what he could do. So in June 2013, we combined a vacation with a show schedule and took him up to the  pacific northwest  for a series of weekend shows in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming (a total of 3 weekends) to see how he would do as an adult. Reagan did not disappoint, it was thrilling…..he won many Best of Breed awards, defeated many other champions and racked up a majority of the points needed to crown him a Grand Champion.  In addition, he got to spend some time in Yellowstone National Park, The Grand  Tetons, Jackson Hole Wyoming and on to Lake Taho NV!! We all had fun.
Reagan showed only once again in Oct/Nov 2013 in Pleasanton CA where he did very well.  The competition at these adult “Specialty” levels is intense, especially in California.  He was awarded four  “Best of Opposite Sex” awards next to the top winning female standard poodle in our country right now, Allie (she has over 120 Best in Show wins) and he came in next to herJ He always makes me proud J  “Allie” is favored to win the breed at Westminster this year.
Reagan again attended the shows at the Indio Polo Fields this month January 2014 where he won a “major” award towards his Grand Championship. 
I am so proud of Reagan and his accomplishments.  It is so thrilling to see him perform in the ring, he just loves to show!
He loves his handler Carlton, and always wants to be in his lap!


Reagan will always be my heartsong both at the dog shows and at home.  He is not just a show dog…..he is a beloved family member and pet first…then a show dog.  He is smart, funny, happy, energetic and beautiful, what a combo!!!
It is an honor and a thrill to present Reagan at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.  Whatever happens there, win or not, it will be a most memorable experience, an experience of a lifetime and I feel completely blessed to have this opportunity and to have Reagan as my pet and show dog.

Sincerely,

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment